Sandy Creek Farms, located in Henry County, Tennessee, has been used for agricultural purposes since the first settlements of the area in the early 1800’s. Carved from the U.S. land purchase of 1818 from the Chickasaw Indian Nation, Henry County was established in 1821, and in 1823, the county seat was named Paris in honor of General Lafayette’s French heritage. The town of Paris lies about 9 miles from the farm and is the largest town in the county.
Early settlers relied heavily upon river travel, and Big Sandy River is the primary tributary of the Tennessee River extending into Henry County. River travel effectively ended at a small community called Big Sandy, located in close proximity to the farm. The farm itself has been occupied since the early settlement period. Two abandoned cemeteries lie on the property, dating back to the mid-1800’s. An abandoned wagon road and railroad bed are reminders of earlier means of transportation. Maps from the 1930’s show that roads on the farm predating the current ones provided essential connection to points lying to the east.
In the 1950’s, the property was home to a pig farm. Only two structures remain on the property from that time. In the 1970’s, the farm was purchased by a sawmill/timber enterprise and was selectively logged and replanted with pine.
The Morgans purchased the original 390-acre farm in 2007. Three additional parcels were added over the next four years bringing the total area to 430 acres. There was limited access to the property, with overgrown logging trails and a single trail leading to a farming plot site. In awe of its raw beauty, the owners soon began improvements. Land was cleared, roads and trails were built. A large lake was constructed, with a private island connected by a wooden bridge to the south shore. Several structures were added for equipment and agricultural operations. In 2010 and 2011, owners and visitors housing were built. The Farm installed solar energy, becoming the largest, private, solar energy generating facility in the region at that time. This system powers the farm and provides green energy to surrounding communities.
At the onset, the Morgans established a nursery to satisfy their horticultural interests and to provide plant material for the property. In 2014, the Morgans entered the cattle business, raising and selling beef cattle, and have continued growing this operation ever since. Again, more structures were added to support operations.
For years, the Morgans had been contemplating a new idea for the property, an event venue where they could share the beauty of the property. In 2015, this idea was enhanced by developing facilities for events and overnight accommodations. A stone pavilion suitable for ceremonies and seated events was built on the island. The original horse barn was remodeled and is now The Stables, a 2-story reception hall. Bungalows were built for use as the bride and grooms’ quarters for wedding events as well as overnight rentals. Existing visitor housing was updated. Infrastructure such as bathrooms, offices, and storage areas were added. An existing game processing shed was remodeled and is now the Chef’s House, a fully functional kitchen for caterers and guests with culinary interests. Our newest addition nears completion in 2019. The Pavilion, is an all-weather conditioned structure adjacent to The Stables reception hall, providing additional capacity for large events and use during inclement weather.
After years of planning, building and landscaping, Sandy Creeks staff and owners are excited to extend a welcome to visitors this spring, with our official opening in May 2019. We hope to see you soon!